Today’s recipe is brought to you by my sister, Alison. When she made these delicious berry muffins back in October, I knew I had to get the recipe. I’m visiting her this weekend, so I asked her to share the recipe. These muffins are full of tasty ingredients and they’re pretty good for you too. My niece loves to eat these before her gymnastics meets to give her a healthy dose of carbs.
The best part is you can pick which berries you use or replace the berries with banana. Be warned, though, blackberries tends to make the muffins pretty seedy. In this batch, Alison used raspberries. We ate them so fast, though, that she’s already had to make a new batch with blueberries, which are also wonderful.
Here is Alison’s recipe for making 12 berry muffins, altered from a recipe found on Paleo Plan.
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted (microwave about 15 seconds)
- 1 cup almond meal or almond flour
- 1 cup of berries – this amount will vary based on which berries you choose
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit. Spray muffin tin with coconut oil – you don’t need muffin holders that way.
- Mix dry ingredients (baking powder, baking soda, salt & almond meal) in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using a separate bowl, whisk 3 eggs. Add almond butter, honey and coconut oil. Mix together until combined – Alison recommends against using a whisk at this point because it will get messy.
- Fold dry mix into egg mixture. Stir until it thickens. Then choose your berry. Mix it all up – don’t worry about mashing the fruit. If you leave the fruit whole and you’re not careful, one muffin that has no berries in it and one that has a lot berries. This way you have flavor throughout the whole muffin.
- Pour muffin batter into muffin tins using a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Using this measurement, you’ll have enough batter for 12 muffins. Bake in oven for 13-16
minutes or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool, then enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or a snack!