If you haven’t had an açai bowl before, you may not understand how excited I am about this recipe. You also may not know how to pronounce the word açai. A-kay? A-sigh? Nope, it’s pronounced ah-sigh-ee. Don’t worry, it’s a weird word and I didn’t know how to say it a few months ago. But then I discovered a shop near us called Paradise Bowls that sells açai and pitaya bowls and now I’m totally addicted to these things. Making an açai bowl only requires a few steps. First, blend açai or pitaya (aka dragonfruit) with other fruit and a non-dairy milk – usually coconut or almond milk – creating a thick, icy smoothie as a base. On top of that blend, you add granola and more fruit, and finally sprinkle some coconut and drizzle honey on top. It’s heaven in a bowl, really. If you live in South Bay and haven’t gone to Paradise Bowls, go as soon as you can. Just look at this bowl.
Is your mouth watering yet? The best thing is you can eat it as breakfast, lunch, a snack or dessert! All of the fruit does make it high in sugar, but on the upside you’re likely getting your daily requirement of fruit in one bowl.
So when I was at Whole Foods the other day I found some açai smoothie packs and thought I would make my own açai bowl. The packs come in sets of 4 for $6.50, so it’s not the cheapest, but I personally think it’s worth it to make these little bowls of happiness.
I swear, you guys, I was going to take better pictures of this recipe. I was going to sprinkle coconut flakes and cacao nibs to frame the bowl and maybe even put some banana slices in the background. But I went paddleboarding for an hour and a half before making this recipe and I was so hungry, and it looked so delicious, I just couldn’t wait. Maybe another time I’ll take some prettier photos. As for right now, I’ll just share the recipe with you. You can mess with this recipe as much as you want, but I roughly modeled mine after my favorite bowl at Paradise Bowls. If you’re looking for inspiration, check out their menu page.
- 1 açai smoothie packet
- ~1/4 cup of almond milk (or any other milk of your choice)
- 1 banana
- 2 spoonfuls of peanut butter
- ~1/4 cup frozen blueberries and/or other frozen fruit of your choice
- Coconut flakes (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1 tbsp. cacao nibs
- Granola (optional)
- Honey (optional)
- Put açai packet, almond milk, 1/2 of the banana, peanut butter and frozen blueberries in blender and blend until combined. Add more ice or milk if needed to get the right, icy consistency. I’d recommend starting off with less milk and working your way up!
- Pour smoothie mixture into a bowl & then put other half of banana (and optional granola) on top of the liquid.
- Sprinkle coconut and other toppings of your choice on top, drizzle some honey if you want, and then chow down!