I don’t know about you guys, but I love a good salad. Sometimes I love them a little too much. One of my all-time favorites is romaine, walnuts, mozzarella, craisins and balsamic vinaigrette. It’s just a classic – in college I may have eaten one of those every day for a few months. But while I have my favorites, I’m always looking for a new one to add to my list of salad staples.
So when I found this recipe in the newest Good Housekeeping, it immediately caught my eye. Yes, you may wonder why I’m reading Good Housekeeping (I don’t think I fit their major demographic), but my mom got me a subscription and it actually has some really great stuff in it, especially in their recipe section. (Thanks mom!) This one is pretty straightforward and we already had most of the ingredients in the fridge, so I figured I would give it a shot. It was delicious! Massaging the dressing into the kale and brussel sprouts helps hide some of the bitterness that you might taste otherwise.
I was also pretty excited to try out pecarino cheese. I’d never heard of it before but I like the way the word sounds. Even better is that there’s also a peppered pecarino cheese, which in Italian is called Pecarino Pepato. Yeah, try not having fun saying that word. Anyways, apparently pecarino cheese is an Italian hard cheese made from sheep’s milk. I’ve had traditional cheese and goat cheese, but I’m not sure I’ve had sheep cheese until now. Lemme tell you, it’s fantastic. It tastes like parmesan but has a different flavor to it that’s a little nuttier. I really enjoyed it! Overall, the mixture of the kale, brussel sprouts, walnuts and cheese makes a really good Italian staple salad. You could eat it on its own or as a side salad to a pasta dish.
You can find the original Good Housekeeping recipe at this link. I made a few alterations, but it’s still pretty similar!
- 2 cups kale, ribs discarded + leaves thinly sliced or torn into small pieces
- 1 cup brussel sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1/3 cup walnut halves (they suggest toasted, I’m just a little too lazy for that)
- 1 cup cubed pecorino cheese
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Remove ribs from kale and thinly slice or tear into small pieces
- In separate bowl, whisk lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper + olive
- Combine kale and liquid in a bowl + massage liquid into kale
- Slice brussels sprouts, add to bowl + toss
- Add can of washed cannellini beans, toasted walnuts and cheese
- Toss all ingredients together + serve
Do you guys have a salad recipe you just can’t get enough of?