Cherries, chocolate + dates – what more could you want in a smoothie? This recipe comes from my friend, Rebecca, who is a smoothie master. Seriously, her smoothies always taste 100 times better than mine, I don’t know what her secret is, but I am still working toward smoothie perfection. This recipe is one of her chocolate smoothie staples. When you’re craving sweets – and especially ice cream – this smoothie hits the spot. The dates and cherries – both dried and frozen – give this recipe a dessert-like sweetness. Then the ground up cacao nibs have the consistency of chocolate chips, like Ben + Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream. Yummmmmm.
If you want to the cherry flavor to stand out, go for vanilla protein powder. If you’re a chocolate lover, grab some chocolate powder and throw it in! Experiment with the amounts of powder to see how much is needed – I found that only half a scoop of mine did the trick. For these pictures, I used vanilla powder – you’ll notice that the chocolate powder will make your smoothie a brown color. I know, that’s kind of obvious, but I don’t want anyone freaking out when their smoothie isn’t the same color as mine.
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup frozen cherries (depending on size of cherries)
- 1/3rd frozen banana
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- 2-3 dates, pitted + split in half
- 1-2 cups spinach and/or kale (Depending on the size of your smoothie, it’s easiest just to fill the blender to the top with greens!)
- ~1 cup nut milk or coconut water (or 3/4ths the amount of greens)
- 1/2 scoop vanilla or chocolate protein powder (we love Juice Plus Chocolate Complete Powder!)
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- Fill blender with spinach and fill blender 3/4 full with nut milk + blend
- Add frozen cherries and frozen banana + blend
- Add remaining ingredients + blend
- Top with some cacao nibs if you want more chocolate (I mean, who doesn’t?)